November 10, 2014 by aliputnam
We all crave a little comfort food this time of year- something warm and usually high in fat or starchy carbs. Spaghetti squash has got to be one of the most unappreciated veggies and it’s an awesome alternative to pasta or rice recipes. Give it a shot in this recipe. You don’t even dirty a dish! It’s very filling as is but you could easily add chicken or beef.
1 medium sized spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon high heat oil (I use coconut oil)
1/2 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 (16 ounce) jar of salsa (use your preferred level of spiciness)
1 tablespoon olive oil (or preferred cooking oil)
1 large bell pepper, cored and sliced
1/2 large red onion, sliced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, cored and sliced (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt & pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Wash the spaghetti squash and then slice off the stem at the top. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and then use a spoon to scrap out the seeds and the darker yellow strands that the seeds are attached to.
- Rub a little bit of high heat oil on the inner edges of the squash and then place each half face down on the baking sheet/dish. Roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size (longer for larger squash). You can test to see if it’s done by scraping the inside with a fork. Strands should come loose as you scrape all the way down to the flesh.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the filling by warming one tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion for a few minutes and then add the peppers and jalapeno. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and cumin and cook to desired softness. I like mine with a little crunch so I only cooked them for about 6-7 minutes.
- When the squash is done cooking, allow it to cool for a few minutes before handling. Turn the oven to broil and then transfer the squash to a surface where you can scrape the inside and begin stuffing.
- Scrape about 3/4 of the inside out onto a dish and then layer the filling inside (black beans, peppers and onion, salsa and cilantro). Top with the spaghetti squash and press down then add another layer of filling. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes so that the cheese is bubble and golden brown then serve!